Monday, February 7, 2011

Up the Kennedy Trail

This morning, a friend took me on one of her regular hikes. She likes to run up the Kennedy Trail in the Kennedy-Limekiln Area, within the Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve, where I was last weekend. In fact, if you get to the top of the Kennedy Trail, it connects to the Woods Trail that we hiked.

The day was misty and rainy. I dressed for rain, but was fortunate in that it only came down for about a half an hour of our hike. The rest of the time it was just the very damp mountain mist. Still wet, but at least it was not a soaking. The Woods Trail only gains elevation of about 1100 feet, while the Kennedy Trail goes right up the mountain side for an elevation gain of 2000 feet. It is a fire road, so you would expect it to be steeper than a footpath and it is. This made for quite a vigorous workout!

The altitude also offers many beautiful views, but unfortunately, my camera was not at the ready. This is, however, a challenging trail and I would like to hike it again on a sunny day when I have my camera and don't have to depart early for other appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment