Sunday, March 15, 2009

Will Walk for Blazing Saddles

I spent most of my Sunday relaxing, cooking and cleaning. So it was 6:30 pm by the time I realized we hadn't yet done our easy walk. I've been wanting to watch Blazing Saddles again. I hadn't seen it in a very long time and I really wanted to make a more informed decision about which is the better movie.

We decided to walk to Hollywood Video to rent the movie. (Would I ever have been disappointed if we had walked all the way there, and the movie was out! Which fortunately was not the case...)

The video store is a distance of 3.7 miles, so we walked about 7.5 miles. It was dark by the time we got back, but we did it and we watched the movie later after putting our son to bed.

I had forgotten about the movie's racial component. The sexual innuendo is, of course, classic Mel Brooks. It was certainly good for several laughs, but I came away feeling that the movie is dated and that my child's generation wouldn't really understand why the racial theme was such a big deal. My own generation and the ones that follow me have grown up or are growing up in neighborhoods and classrooms that know no racial division.

As for the question at hand, my answer is: The Princess Bride. By a longshot. I haven't changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment