Sunday, May 3, 2009

Definitely Off My Diet

Today was the final day of the convention. Again I got up early and had breakfast at the Circus Circus diner. Another omelet and sausage. Still off my diet.

This morning's seminar was a presentation on WinLink given by Cap Pennell, KE6AFE. WinLink is a parallel internet email system that transmits messages via amateur radio frequencies, utilizing both simultaneous as well as store and forward messaging (like the old bulletin board systems). When the regular internet goes down, this internet system will still be working because it's connectivity is by amateur radio. The presentation was quite interesting and this is definitely something I would like to explore further.

Cap is the DEC (District Emergency Coordinator) for Santa Cruz County and at last night's banquet he won the Pacific Division's Ham of the Year award. I've met Cap a few times. He's a great guy and very kind when you make a blunder. When I was a newer ham and experimenting with APRS (Automatic Position/Packet Reporting System), I configured my path incorrectly. (It wasn't my fault. The manual still contained the old configuration.) Cap is a local leader in APRS and when someone configures their path incorrectly, such that it clogs the network, Cap finds out about it. He found me and helped me get it all straightened out, without making me feel horrible about it. I'm very glad he won the award. It was well deserved.

After that, I spent some time at the vendor booths as they would soon close. I picked up a few more connectors and some spares, before heading out to the grand finale: the ARRL Forum and the grand prize raffle. This is always a huge draw as there is usually some great prize - like a free radio or a gift certificate worth hundreds of dollars. Good ham radio equipment can be quite costly.

Bob Vallio, W6RGG, gave the presentation on the current state of the Pacific Division along with all seven Section Managers in the Pacific Division. Bob occasionally graces our Friday ham lunch with his presence, and he has given a presentation on his DXpedition to Scarborough Reef to our Saratoga club, so I have met him and spoken with him several times.

After all the Section Manager's presentations were through he then turned to the audience - some 300-400 hams and said, "Christina, do you have anything to add?" There was dead silence. I looked around the room hoping that there was some other Christina there. When no one answered (there aren't many ladies in ham radio), I sheepishly asked, "Who me?!" "Yes," said Bob. Terror! "Uh... No." I said, probably turning beet red. I think there was laughter, but I was so frozen that I don't remember it.

I did get Bob back a little while later though. He was talking about how the ARRL's defined benefit (pension) plan was going to be converted into a ... into a .... He couldn't remember the words. Being the attorney that I am, I filled in for him, "defined contribution plan." He said, "That's it," after which I said, "You're welcome, Bob." I guess I finally did have something to say after all, and this time I remembered the laughter.

Alas, I did not win the grand prize - either the Yaesu radio or the $800 gift certificate. With that the convention ended and my carpoolers and I decided to have lunch before leaving. And that is where I definitely went off of my diet.

We went to Kokopelli's sushi for lunch. One of my carpoolers had barbeque from the restaurant next door, but ate with us while we had sushi buffet. I wasn't sure what to order and I can never remember all of the names, so I asked for chef's surprise. Our chef, Ke, did not disappoint. He made us the most fabulous sushi I have ever eaten in my life. As we oohed and aahed at the different creations he made for us, Ke's smile just got larger and larger. We were all very happy. And that's why I definitely went off my diet!

An uneventful ride home after that, except for the accident on I-80 somewhere along the Donner Pass. I-80 turned into a parking lot that was backed up for miles. We chose to detour on Hway 89 South to Lake Tahoe, catching I-50 down to Sacramento. It took a little longer, but it was better than simply waiting for God only knows how many miles and hours, and it was far more scenic than I-80.

No comments:

Post a Comment