Friday, May 29, 2009

Taekwondo Testing

Today is officially a rest day. I went to my usual Friday amateur radio lunch, and otherwise tried to catch up with my house.

The Roomba did a good job, though unexpected in some ways. I had set it for 2:00 am, thinking that I would shut the hall door and just let it work while we slept. Unfortunately, I forgot to shut the hall door and it came marching down the hallway at 2:00 am last night.

Duane and I bolted upright out of bed wondering, "What the...?" By the time I had grabbed my bathrobe and gone after it, Roomba had wandered into our son's bedroom and he was bolt upright too, staring at Roomba in a wide eyed stupor.

I quickly decided that 2:00 am was a really dumb idea. Roomba's a bit noiser than I imagined too. So I put Roomba back in its charger, reset the schedule for noon today, and went back to sleep.

This evening was my son's Taekwondo test. He tested for his green/blue belt today, which means he had to know how to count to ten in Korean, know what the names of his forms mean, and what the different color belts signify. Of course, he also had to know his form, as well as one beginning form and some other moves. I'm happy to say that he passed the test!

After dropping our son off for his sleepover, we went home to get ready for tomorrow's hike at Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. I've been anticipating this hike with some trepidation. In 1992, after taking and passing the California Bar Exam, I went hiking with my study partner. He was trying to get in shape to get a job in the Criminal Investigation Division of the Internal Revenue Service. He was in much better shape than I was to begin with, nevertheless he chose Purisima for our hike. We hiked down to the bottom and then back up. No poles, no hiking shoes, no hydration pack, no electrolyte or granola bars. I'm pretty sure we went straight down and then straight up again, by which time I was pretty well exhausted. I wanted to hit him over the head (what was he thinking?), but I didn't want to lose my newly obtained law license. All was better after a cold beer, but I still have bad memories of that hike. I wonder how it will be tomorrow, after I have done all of this conditioning?

No comments:

Post a Comment