Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Planks

Tonight we had another track workout at Foothill College. We did the usual laps, bleachers and stretching and strengthening exercises.

There is one of our core exercises in particular that I really hate. We've been doing it most of the season, but I just hate it. I do it anyway, but I hate it. Did I mention that I really hate it?

This exercise is called "planks". You make your body like a "plank" supporting it on your toes and elbows (see the above photo). The idea is to maintain this position for as long as possible. I have usually been able to manage this for about 30 seconds and no more. Tonight I managed it for almost three minutes. Mentor Bowman beat me by ten seconds.

I'm still not sure how I did that. Muscles are weird.

The other big news is that our trail assessments were due today. We put in for Half Dome as our first choice and the Panorama Trail as our second choice. If we don't get Half Dome, the Panorama Trail offers better vistas than Yosemite Falls or Dewey Point. Yosemite Falls is more strenuous than the Panorama Trail, but it it up and down with not much of a view (comparatively). The Panorama Trail passes Nevada Fall, Vernal Fall and Illilouette Fall, so there is much more to see on this trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment