Sunday, March 13, 2011

Back to Alum Rock

Today's hike was a short one at Alum Rock Park, mostly because of time constraints. My friend Chris and I hiked up the North Rim Trail to Eagle Rock and back. When we have more time, we'll hike up to the Santa Clara County Open Space Authority, which goes the rest of the way up the side of the canyon.

I'm still using my day pack, though I'm starting to load more weight in it. I can add 6.6 pounds just by carrying the three liters that my hydration pack will take. Add to that some trail mix, a bottle of G2, a camera, assorted odds and ends, and the pack is probably close to 12 pounds. Not enough weight, but it's March and we still have three and a half months to go before Half Dome.

We didn't see too many wildflowers today. It's still early and the weather has not cooperated. But we did see some beautiful purple Vetch. Vetch is in the legume family - you can tell because the leaves are similar to what you would see if you grew your own peas.

Eagle Rock is always an interesting destination, not just because of the rock, but also because that location is also the site of a local amateur radio repeater and other antenna installations. And it has a great view of San Jose too!

No comments:

Post a Comment