Monday, July 11, 2011

Backpacking Essentials

My pack is packed. I am ready to go. What does one pack for a 4-5 day backpacking trip?

Not a whole lot. You're limited to what you can carry on your back. What you take has to be both minimal and lightweight. Every ounce counts. My backpack, a Gregory Baltoro 70, won the 2008 Backpacker's Magazine Editor's Choice Award and weighs 5 lbs., 9 oz. I've been using it on my conditioning hikes and I'm pleased.

First, you need a tent. REI has some great ultralight tents. The one that I chose is the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. It is small and compact and weighs 2 lbs., 2 oz.

Next is a sleeping bag and pad. For a pad, I choose the Thermarest Prolite Plus. These pads are part foam cushion and part inflatable, making for a lightweight 24 oz., being both warm and thick enough that you won't feel like you're sleeping on the ground. For a sleeping bag, my choice was the North Face, Cat's Meow sleeping bag. The first issue is whether to go with down or synthetic fill. Down is warmer - if it doesn't get wet. Once it gets wet, it loses its ability to retain heat. Synthetic bags are a bit heavier, but they will hold heat even if they get wet. So I opted for a synthetic fill because you never know what the weather is going to be like, or what problems you may encounter. This bag weighs 2 lbs., 14 oz and, more importantly, it's rated down to 20 F. While temperature ratings are not precise, this is still important because you don't want to be shivering in your sleeping bag or you won't get a good night's sleep. Figure out what the low temperature is likely to be and then buy a bag that's rated for 10 degrees F less than that.

So far, the contents of my backpack weigh a total of 12.07 lbs.

Since I won't be near a water tap, I need a water filter. Actually, you need a water filter for the Half Dome hike, even if you do it as a day hike. Water, even in the high country, contains cryptosporidium, giardia and other bacteria and protozoa. A water pump with a carbon filter will allow you to safely drink the water, without getting sick. My choice was the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. It weighs 11 ounces. There were other solutions but this seemed to be the best value for the money. After all, like most people, funds are not unlimited.

Lightweight gear for cooking and eating is also an issue. I chose the REI Ti Ware Cup and Pot set which is made of titanium and is both strong and lightweight. This equpment weighs 5.1 oz. For utensils, I chose the Sea to Summit Alpha utensils, made from annodized airplane aluminum and which weighs 1.3 oz.
My backpack now weighs 13.16 lbs.

One of the most important things you can take on a backpacking trip is a first aid kit. You just never know when you're going to need it, either for yourself or someone else. When I went on a short hike in Edgewood Park recently, I met a woman being carried down the trail by two guys. Apparently, she either had a very bad sprain or possibly a broken ankle. I used the medical tape in my first aid kit to immobilize her foot, before her friends continued to carry her down the mountain. Later that same day, our son tripped on a rock and scraped his knee and arm. I whipped out my first aid kit, cleaned his wound, applied some ointment and a bandage. I use the REI Day Pack First Aid kit. I've had to replenish some of the supplies, but it's a useful size as it fits in one of the pockets of my backpack and weighs only 6.4 oz.

There is also enough room in the container to supplement with other items that aren't contained in the kit. Among those supplements, I've added Body Glide (0.8 oz.), Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen Stick SPF 50 (0.55 oz.), and Ultrathon insect repellent (2 oz.), as well as some Ivy Cleanse towlettes (of doubtful efficacy - we'll see). There is also my toiletries kit, which contains a backpacking toothbrush, a sampler tube of toothpaste (0.8 oz.), two small flossers, a tiny hotel-sized bar of soap, the MSR Packtowel Nano, a small ultralight, quick drying sports towel (0.9 oz), and a mirror (0.5 oz.).

All of this has added less than a pound, with my backpack now weighing 13.88 lbs.

Clothing and food will make up the bulk of the weight of my backpack.  I packed two short sleeve and two long sleeve REI Lightweight Polartec Power Dry t-shirts, that are both quick drying and moisture wicking (1.3 lbs.).  This is important because you want to retain your body heat - the weather at Half Dome can be unpredictable at best.  I also packed two pair of light weight Alpine Design convertible pants and one pair of the REI Sahara Convertible pants.  (2.7 lbs.)  If the weather gets warm, I can unzip the bottoms of my pants and turn them into shorts.  Also into the backpack went one pair of long underwear that I intend to use for pajamas, as well as three pairs each of my hiking socks and liners. 

Because I am allergic to wool, I've been wearing the Thorlo CoolMax Light Hiker Socks, and underneath those the REI Coolmax Liner socks (which contrary to the picture on REI's website, come in a variety of lengths). When I hike, I use a sweat band as having droplets of sweat on my glasses is really annoying. I've tried a variety of sweat bands. I don't care for the Underarmor sweat bands because they retain too much heat. Terricloth sweat bands will retain too much moisture. My preferred sweatband is the Headsweats CoolMax Topless sweatband. It sits lightly on my head and wicks away the moisture without retaining heat. Even better, it fits nicely under my Sunday Afternoons Sports Hat. For later on, I need something I can put over my ears. I like the Buff balaclava because it can be used in so many different configurations.

I've tried several hiking bras and I've basically given up on the idea in favor of my regular, polyesther bra. Non-chafing hiking underwear is a must and I've used the ExOfficio Full Cut Women's Briefs.  Two items that I haven't needed during my day hikes are a warm fleece and a waterproof, lightweight rain jacket. After trying on several jackets at REI, I selected the North Face Scythe fleece jacket (14 oz.) will provide the warmth and the REI Ultra Light jacket (16.5 oz.) for its weather proof and breathable features. The rain jacket can be worn by itself or over the fleece for added warmth. 

All of the clothing was rolled up into very compact plastic baggies.
On this trip, I'm responsible for my own breakfast and lunch. So it's got to be simple, lightweight and it can't need refrigeration. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as well as hummus and pita bread will suffice for lunch. Justin's Nut Butter comes in single use packets (1.15 oz. each). Hummus was a bit harder to find in the local grocery stores, but it is available in a shelf stable, non-refrigeration, single serving tube container (1.76 oz. each). Jelly was a bit more difficult, so over the course of several weekend breakfasts out, I've been collecting individual packets of jelly to take on the trip. Apparently, there will be a communal loaf of bread in a special container so I don't need to worry about that. That said, I do need a sandwich box, so it doesn't get smushed when I'm hiking. Apparently, they only make these for children! Breakfast will be assorted packets of Cream of Wheat, with some raisins and nuts added for texture. For drinks, I'll have some Cafe Mocha and French Vanilla Cafe Latte for breakfast and late night snacks. Other than water, I'll have individual sized various flavors of Gatorade, lemonade and iced tea. For trail mix, I like to make my own consisting of macadamia nuts, yogurt raisins, chocolate raisins, candied ginger, and dried cranberries. For trail bars, I like Nature Valley Crunchy granola bars or any of the Sweet & Salty variety.

On the trail, I like to drink both water and an electrolyte drink. Normally, I'll bring a bottle of Gatorade, but this time I need something that is reusable and refillable. For Half Dome, I wanted a hands free solution as well. I selected two CamelBak Better Bottles (6.6 oz.), with the CamelBak hands free adapter (1.75 oz). Both of these CamelBak 1 liter bottles will fit in my day pack, though using a carabiner to attach them. I've also used electrolyte jellies, an assortment of Jelly Belly Sports Beans, Clif Shot Bloks Fastpak, Gu Chomps, or Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews. These are really great when you're starting to get a cramp and you need electrolyte fast!

Lastly, I needed to save some room for some of the communal food.  I'll need to take some of the spaghetti or beans and rice packets, one loaf of bread, as well as a fuel cannister for the stove.  Total weight of my backpack is now 42 pounds.  It will be a few pounds more by the time we start our trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment