Thursday, May 14, 2009

Boy Scouts and Field Day

Today I finally had a chance to slow down a little and catch up with myself. I always enjoy these days because it means I get some housework done, the paperwork piles are reduced, and I get ready for whatever happens to be coming next.

I didn't get any training in today, because I had promised to give a presentation to the local Boy Scout council about the American Radio Relay League's 2009 Field Day exercise. That took up all of my time after dinner. The meeting went well. I made my presentation, explaining that Field Day is a combined emergency preparedness exercise and contest. Contestants have a few hours to set up their equipment followed by 24 hours to make as many contacts as they can. It is the biggest amateur radio event of the year in North America. This is usually a good time for hams to show their stuff to the public, who are allowed to operate under an amateur radio operator's supervision.

Tomorrow is a rest day, so I suppose I will get a double rest before taking on Mission Peak for a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment