Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Diet Sabotage

In case I didn't mention it, today is also my birthday. It was a very busy day with lots of errands and things to do, although I did get a 5,000+ step walk in! My neighbor and I set up a standing date to walk on Wednesday mornings. I'm learning a lot about our neighborhood, which we haven't lived in very long.

When I finally got home at 6:30 pm, I walked into the house to a huge bouquet of yellow roses and other yellow flowers. Awww! I've always been partial to yellow roses. It's the flower that my father gave my mother on the day I was born. Sitting next to the flowers and rewrapped, was a set of National Geographic topo map CD-ROMs for California that he had given me some years ago and which have been resurrected now that we have a use for them. This really gave me the giggles! I'm definitely going to have to look up Half Dome!

Duane whisked us both off to dinner at the Mt. Hamilton Grandview, a restaurant about half way up Mt. Hamilton and with a gorgeous view of the Santa Clara Valley, the Bay and the Santa Cruz mountains opposite. The food is good too!

The burning question of the evening's conversation concerned movies. Which is the more classic comedy? The Princess Bride or Blazing Saddles? It seems that the women we talked to at the restaurant leaned more towards The Princess Bride, the men towards Blazing Saddles. I texted my brother Stephen, and even he chose Blazing Saddles. This from the brother who used to "steal" my copy of The Princess Bride for weeks on end until I would find a way to "steal" it back. Traitor! I'll let you decide. I've put up a poll in the right hand column, which will be open until March 18th.

When my birthday falls on Ash Wednesday, as it often does, and I'm supposed to fast and abstain from meat, that does leave me in somewhat of a predicament. I passed on the split pea soup, which contained ham, and I ordered filet of sole, so I managed the "no meat" rule. I was, however, unsuccessful at fasting. Although I did skip breakfast, dinner came with a magnificent slice of blueberry cheesecake. Yum! Definitely diet sabotage! I had a wonderful time! Tomorrow is, however, another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment