Monday, June 21, 2010

Caution: Hungry Dieter - May Bite If Provoked

Today is Day 4 of my diet and the first day that I'm supposed to test my urine for ketones. I did so and the strip turned a medium shade of brown. This means I'm definitely in the moderate range of ketosis and burning ketones. Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism. They are produced by the liver from fat to be used as fuel when your body doesn't have enough carbohydrates. Any excess ketones are excreted in the urine and not converted back to fat. The scale also shows significant improvement. In part, this is probably the loss of some water weight, but now we know I'm starting to shed fat too.

This morning I ran out of the house with 3 oz. of Canadian bacon in my hand. It was the kiddo's first day of science camp and I didn't want to be late. We made it on time.

It's hard to describe how I'm feeling right now. I guess the closest I can get is that I feel both lighter with a slightly lower energy level than usual. I mostly ignored it.

Today was workout day. I grabbed 3 oz. of smoked turkey on the way to the gym. I was wondering if that would hold me through my workout. It did. By the time I finished the workout, I was actually feeling somewhat better. I also drank a full 32 oz. of Powerade Zero Lemon Lime.

However, after getting home, I was voraciously hungry. Since I had worked out for 70 minutes, I decided to treat myself to one slice of turkey (about 1 oz.) That helped and prevented me from eating everything in sight. Dinner was 3 oz. of halibut and some Vitarain Raspberry Green Tea. When I added everything up after dinner, I was still about 80 calories under my minimum calorie goal. So I had another slice of Canadian bacon.

So far so good, even if I'm hungry.

Calories In: 653
Calories Out: 375

Protein: 73.38%
Carbohydrates: 7.19%
Fats: 19.42%

No comments:

Post a Comment