Sunday, June 20, 2010

"Our Bodies Are Our Gardens...

...our wills are our gardeners." William Shakespeare

Day three and I'm still managing to stick to this diet, though it isn't easy. It does seem to be paying off, even at this early stage. Today was the first day I got on the scale and it appears that I've lost close to 6 pounds. That's a good start, keeping in mind that my scale and the doctor's scale undoubtedly don't quite jive.

This is the first day I haven't had a "cheat". This morning I ate 3 oz. of ham steak for breakfast. Lunch was a forgettable vanilla whey protein shake. Can't someone make these things taste any better? The chocolate one I had a few days ago was pretty bad too. Dinner, though, was really tough. We went to my mom and dad's house for dinner, which was roasted chicken, mashed potatoes with pesto, fritata, and my brother's pineapple upside down cake for dessert. I ate a miniscule piece of the chicken. Giving up the pesto was tough, so I put a dot of pesto on my chicken - maybe a quarter of a teaspoon, just for a taste. Fortunately, pineapple upside-down cake isn't one of my favorites, so that was easy to pass up, though I was really curious to taste my brother's cooking.

Truly, this is a contest of will power. All things being equal, that would probably be fine, but I am a "stress eater". I'm also busy enough that I tend to eat on the run and it's hard to find healthy options on the run. So I need structure to be successful, and a whole lot of grace!

I'm entering all of my food and exercise into the Livestrong.com MyPlate application. They have a great database of food and I can enter it anywhere that there is internet, so I can keep doing this while I'm on vacation. When I got home tonight, I entered dinner and discovered I was about 200 calories shy of my goal, so I was able to eat a little more. That was not at all what I expected, and a pleasant surprise.

Calories In: 586

Protein: 75.65%
Carbohydrates: 10.36%
Fats: 13.99%

No comments:

Post a Comment