Monday, April 27, 2009

McClellan Ranch Field Trip

After this weekend's hiking activities, I didn't get a whole lot done, but I did get in an easy walk. Our son had a field trip to McClellan Ranch, a nature preserve, to go bird watching.

Now, I'm not sure why anyone thought eighteen kindergarten boys were going to be quiet so they could watch birds, but okay... The first time a boy saw a bird and shouted "Look! Look!" the bird was gone and no one else had a chance to see it!

As it happened, the boys were far more interested in what was crawling on the ground and we did see several large black beetles, as well a tic that I brushed off of one little girls leg. When the other girl said "Look at the tiny spider!" my ears perked up. Sure enough....

We walked all over the grounds of the ranch and we did see several different types of birds, including hummingbirds, orioles, robins, crows, finches and woodpeckers (shown below).

A good time was had by all, although the weather turned very cold. It must have been 50 degrees! Since I was wearing clothing for last week's weather, I froze! Brrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment